Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


Decided to switch to InnoDB tables. So here I am fully enthu about working on MySQL with InnoDB when I discover that I have everything other than InnoDB table support. There's bdb, ISAM, MyISAM but no InnoDB. And then I realise that there's this nice little USE flag for Gentoo called innodb which enables InnoDB support for MySQL.

So 1 hour 37 minutes later I'm done re-compiling MySQL with InnoDB support & then voila, MySQL refuses to start. After horsing around all over the place for about 2 hours, I realise that there's an important line missing in the config file, the one which tells MySQL where its databases are... So hey no wonder its refusing to start. Then spent quite sometime figuring out how to make phpMyAdmin convert my tables to InnoDB...& finally gave up on that for the day.

XHTML compliance didn't go on too well either, got bugged with the errors on the Validator so I've given that up for today as well. Some of those errors made zilch sense to me...maybe coz I was already too irritated with MySQL.

Distributed Proofreaders seems the best thing to work on right now, so I'm off now...

PS: After my Madras trip (which gave my comp a well deserved rest for a week, my GPU's fan ain't making funny noises anymore :) Feels nice to have a silent comp...


( 7 comments — Leave a comment )
Feb. 17th, 2004 12:36 pm (UTC)
I registered at Distributed Proofreaders.
Feb. 17th, 2004 10:08 pm (UTC)
:) I guess you'll enjoy it.
Feb. 18th, 2004 12:15 am (UTC)
what kind of errors do you get from the validator?
Feb. 18th, 2004 12:57 am (UTC)
The page is still up at http://xinetd.accosted.net/index.html

Running that thru the Validator gives nice errors.
Feb. 18th, 2004 01:31 am (UTC)
1. your doctype tag isn't complete. Your header should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

(I use this on http://www.ncst.ernet.in/etu/)

I think if you're using xhtml-strict, change transitional to strict. Your basic problem is the missing link to a dtd.

2. your tags aren't valid xml either. all tags need to be closed. your tag isn't closed. It should be <link .... />

again, have a look at the etu page for examples.

3. <br> tags can only be within some other container element - like a <p>. In fact, all content should be within container elements. The error message on the validator page is quite helpful here.

4. escape all entities - & should really be &amp; and the same for lt, gt, quot, etc.

5. all attributes are lower case. form method="get" not "GET" - and don't forget the quotes - something you've overlooked everywhere.

6. nest tags correctly. <tag1><tag2> blah </tag2><tag1> is correct <tag1><tag2> blah </tag1><tag2> is wrong.

I don't think there are any cryptic error messages on the page. All very simple to understand. The basic problem seems to be that you had several assumptions about html/xml/xhtml that weren't really correct.
Feb. 18th, 2004 05:51 am (UTC)
Thanks a lot for your help. Its now XHTML 1.0 Transistional, working on making it XHTML 1.0 Strict or even 1.1 Strict.
Feb. 18th, 2004 01:32 am (UTC)
i should add, that this is the best way to learn valid html/xhtml. Make a lot of mistakes and then try and figure out what each error means. That's how I learnt.
( 7 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

July 2009


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner